[Advaita-l] New members

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Jul 2 01:41:17 EDT 2020

Alistair Shearer
----------------

I am a long time student of Advaita, and author of 'In the Light of the Self -
Adi Shankara and the Yoga of non-duality' published by White Crow books, UK.

Sooraj Nagabalaji
-----------------

I have been interested about cause and the causality of the universe. Listened
to various discourses on Advaita Vedanta especially on Mandukya Upanishads.

Daniel
------

Dear moderators and members,

My name is Daniel and I am 36 years old. I'm living in Vienna (Austria) so
please excuse my somewhat broken English.

I'm interested in Advaita ever since around 2011. I was always fascinated by
Hinduism as a child especially by the art. With that I mean the architecture
of ancient Hindu temples, paintings and sculptures of deities.

My first real connection with Hinduism was with Patanjali Yoga. In the
beginning I was doing Yoga just for health reasons. But I always felt I had to
learn about Samkhya in the process too.

This is how I got into Hindu philosophy and through that so Nisargadatta
Maharaj and only later to the "more famous" Ramana Maharshi.

I so fell in love with Advaita. The knowledge of me "being Brahman" was
shattering and changed my life completely. Everything suddenly made sense to
me.

I started reading Gaudapada's commentary on the Mandukya Upanishad (by Swami
Nikhilananda) and to this day, it's the best philosophical work I've ever
read. It had a huge impact on me. Then I continued with the Brahmasutras, the
Upadesa Sahashri, the principal Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita, the Yoga
Vasishta, etc.).

I also knew about this site for quite a long time but I never realized there
is a mailing list until just recently.

I'm more interested in traditional Advaita and NOT in, how do I say it, new
age stuff like Neo-Advaita, Neo-Vedanta, western teachers etc, etc...)
Platforms such as reddit do not provide such a community right now.

Unfortunately I also feel that Advaita in the West is absolutely distorted and
confused, and it's very hard for me at least to find reliable, authentic
information.

Having discovered this mailiing list to me right now is a blessing (one of the
policies stating explicitly that it concerns itself ONLY with traditional
Advaita Vedanta teachings) and I really hope I get an opportunity to
contribute or at least read this particular content here.

Thank you for your time and listening and lots of regards
Daniel

Ranjitha
--------

I am deeply interested in knowing Advaita. This desire stems from a visit to
sringeri and being absorbed in the prayers of devi. Kindly add to the group so
that I can learn the philosophy which inspired and gain focus.

Vinodh V
--------

I am a student of Advaita and a devotee of Sankara interested in following
the discussions in this group after I read a post on “ Three 'kinds' of
Advaita for saadhana” today. I found this post when trying to look up
Advaita aspects of nava-vidha bhakthi as described by Prahalada in Srimad
Bhagavatham.