[Advaita-l] Panchayatana Puja

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Sun Feb 23 02:35:11 EST 2020

In the course of researching Shiva puja, another question came to mind.

One of the hallmarks of Smarta sampradaya is that while we may prefer one
particular swarupa of Brahman as our Ishtadevata, we do not use that as
an excuse to neglect the others.  Shankaracharya formalized this idea in
the Panchayatana form of Puja where all the major Vedic forms, Shiva,
Vishnu, Devi, Ganesh, and Surya (and Skanda in TN) are worshipped together
with one in particular as the focus.

The Shiva panchayata is most often described in prayoga books. And I have
also found the vidhi for Vishnu panchayata but what of the others?  Devi
upasakas seem to prefer worshipping Shri or other yantras rather than Devi
panchayata and the Surya and Ganapati variants seem to be purely
theoretical.  Does any reader know of anyone historical or contemporary
who performs any of these forms?