[Advaita-l] Fwd: Sridhara Swamin's very revealing commentary to the Daksha stuti of Bhagavatam

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 05:33:17 EST 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 4:01 PM
Subject: Sridhara Swamin's very revealing commentary to the Daksha stuti of
Bhagavatam
To: <advaitin at googlegroups.com>

In the Bhagavatam there is a stuti of Bhagavan by various persons that were
connected with the Daksha Yajna episode. This particular stuti of Daksha,
just in one shloka, there iis a revelation of some seminal tenets of
Advaita. Of course, these are so nicely brought out by the commentator Sri
Sridhara Swamin:
दक्ष उवाच
शुद्धं स्वधाम्न्युपरताखिलबुद्ध्यवस्थं
चिन्मात्रमेकमभयं प्रतिषिध्य मायाम् ।
तिष्ठंस्तयैव पुरुषत्वमुपेत्य तस्या-
मास्ते भवानपरिशुद्ध इवात्मतन्त्र: ॥ २६ ॥  4.7.26

This is a free translation: Dakṣa addressed the Supreme Personality of
Godhead: My dear Lord, You are transcendental to all speculative positions.
You are completely spiritual, devoid of all fear, and You are always in
control of the material energy. Even though You appear in the material
energy, You are situated transcendentally. You are always free from
material contamination because You are completely self-sufficient.

Sridhara Swamin starts off by saying: Indeed Rudra is verily Parameshwara,
the Supreme Lord, his appearance as Brahma's son is just an imitation.
 The Lord might question: 'How is it that you, Daksha, taking to seeing
Rudra as different from Me, have belittled him (Rudra)?'. Anticipating such
a question form the Lord, Daksha says: For the One that is Immutable, the
enacting of being a jiva (in the form of Rudra's supposed jivatvam), is
possible only for You and none else to perform.  In Your true State you are
Pure Consciousness. What causes such a State? It is the cessation of all
intellectual transformations. Hence You are One, devoid of any differences,
and hence alone the Refuge. The Shruti says 'Fear is from that which is a
second.' In truth, even the jiva is of this (Supreme) nature alone. Hence
the difference (between the jiva and Ishvara) is stated. Having subdued
Maayaa being independent, you have taken up the role of being a person thru
that Maayaa and having positioned Yourself in that Maayaa, You, though
Pure, appear to be tainted with desire, etc. In the avatara-s of Rama,
Krishna, etc. you appear to be so. All others, owing to avidya upadhi,
being enveloped by Maayaa, are in samsara. Therefore You alone are Ishwara
and not Rudra, etc. Hence alone this erroneous view will be corrected by
the Lord in the sequel: 'I, Brahmaa and Sharva are the Supreme Cause of the
world.'  (commentary over).

The points that emerge from the commentary:    See All images here:
https://groups.google.com/g/advaitin/c/Fj4u3xd8yFY  Or better read the
whole post in this very URL.

   1. Rudra is verily the Supreme Lord.
   2. His appearance as the son of Brahmaa is a mere imitation.
   3. The Lord himself takes on the form of Brahmaa, Rudra, etc. and there
   is no difference between them.
   4. Ishwara, keeping Maayaa in his control, does various things.
   5. The jiva, on the other hand, is subject to avidya and suffers
   samsara.
   6. Owing to the association with Maayaa, Ishwara appears to be a jiva.
   7. The incarnations of Rama, Krishna, etc. reveal this.
   8. Hence you alone are Ishwara and none else.
   9. This erroneous view will be corrected by the Lord thus:
   श्रीभगवानुवाच 4.7.50
   अहं ब्रह्मा च शर्वश्च जगत: कारणं परम् । आत्मेश्वर उपद्रष्टा
   स्वयंद‍ृगविशेषण: ॥ ५० ॥
   10. and the next frew verses.   Lord Viṣṇu replied: Brahmā, Lord Śiva
   and I are the supreme cause of the material manifestation. I am the
   Supersoul, the self-sufficient witness. But impersonally there is no
   difference between Brahmā, Lord Śiva and Me.

   11.

                 4.7.51
   12. आत्ममायां समाविश्य सोऽहं गुणमयीं द्विज ।
   सृजन् रक्षन् हरन् विश्वं दध्रे संज्ञां क्रियोचिताम् ॥ ५१ ॥ The Lord
   continued: My dear Dakṣa Dvija, I am the original Personality of Godhead,
   but in order to create, maintain and annihilate this cosmic manifestation,
   I act through My material energy, and according to the different grades of
   activity, My representations are differently named.
   13. 4.7.52  तस्मिन् ब्रह्मण्यद्वितीये केवले परमात्मनि । ब्रह्मरुद्रौ च
   भूतानि भेदेनाज्ञोऽनुपश्यति ॥ ५२ ॥.
   14. 4.7.53   यथा पुमान्न स्वाङ्गेषु शिर:पाण्यादिषु क्‍वचित् । पारक्यबुद्धिं
   कुरुते एवं भूतेषु मत्पर: ॥ ५३ ॥ A person with average intelligence does
   not think the head and other parts of the body to be separate. Similarly,
   My devotee does not differentiate Viṣṇu, the all-pervading Personality of
   Godhead, from any thing or any living entity
   15. त्रयाणामेकभावानां यो न पश्यति वै भिदाम् । सर्वभूतात्मनां ब्रह्मन् स
   शान्तिमधिगच्छति ॥ ५४ ॥       The Lord continued: One who does not
   consider Brahmā, Viṣṇu, Śiva or the living entities in general to be
   separate from the Supreme, and who knows Brahman, actually realizes peace;
   others do not.
   16.

Sridhara Swamin says: The svarupam, the fundamental truth, underlying the
Three is One.  The one who perceives aikyam across the Trimurtis becomes
enlightened.

     The Lord says in the Bhagavatam: It is only the ignorant who perceive
difference across the Trimurti-s and not the knowledgeable. And, most
importantly, the Lord says: only those who do not perceive difference will
attain peace.                   Thus, the Daksha stuti of Lord Vishnu
brings out many salient points that are useful and important to the
understanding of the Tattva.

Regards
subbu