[Advaita-l] Fwd: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} couple of questions regarding "bramha satyam jagan-mithya"

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 03:27:46 EST 2020

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 3:02 PM H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Namaste.
>
> Reg  << // Therefore, the jagat becomes ajñāna-vilakṣaṇam, that which is
> produced
> through bhāva-rūpa-ajñāna.//
>
> I request members to comment/clarify/verify the above sentence, especially
> the first part there.  Is it 'ajnana vilakshanam' or anything else? >>,

Regarding the above I had a conversation with Sri Mani Dravid Sastrigal.
He explained thus:  Ajnana is the kaaraNam and jagat is kaaraNa
vilakshaNam. How? he gave this example: even though clay is the karanam for
pot, yet, we perceive pot as an object with a rotund shape, etc.and not as
clay. Similarly jagat is perceived not as ajnanam but as endowed with so
many objects, giri, nadi, etc. He cited the Mundaka mantra  …यथोर्णनाभिः
सृजते गृह्णते च यथा पृथिव्यामोषधयः सम्भवन्ति । यथा सतः पुरुषात्केशलोमानि
तथाक्षरात्सम्भवतीह विश्वम् ॥ ७ ॥   to drive home the point that 'the karyam
can be kaaraNa vilakshanam too.' And in the Bhashya it is said, this mantra
gives examples for both 'the karyam is of the nature / form that is
non-different from kaaranam and also quite different, vilakshanam, from the
kaaraNam.'

And regarding the sadasadvilakshanam aspect we discussed, he agreed that
the understanding that all vaadins hold the jagat to be unchanging,
vilakshanam from Brahman and also different from asat vastu.

warm regards
subbu