[Advaita-l] Is empathy a function of ahamkara?

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Aug 5 01:42:07 EDT 2020

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020, smallpress via Advaita-l wrote:

> One’s own suffering can be seen as a function of ahamkara, caused by
> errors of avarna and vikshepa. What about the sadness on seeing others
> suffer, such as the recent killings of Black Americans, even children,
> innocent victims.I suppose you can call it karuna. How do we accomodate
> this feeling of empathy, sadness, karuna for the sufferings of others?
> And how do we act in providing comfort if we see their suffering also as
> maya.

This why higher Vedantic sadhana has been taught to be the domain of
sannyasis.  A sannyasi is detached from the world and has no obligations
to it.

A grhastha is defined by his attachments which run the gamut from his own
self-love to ideally love for all beings.  Regulated by dharma, such
attachments can be a source of great good.  The only dharma cannot do is
provide is moksha.  Non-attachment is the only upaya for that.