[Advaita-l] Is empathy a function of ahamkara?

smallpress smallpress at ymail.com
Tue Aug 4 13:39:52 EDT 2020

One’s own suffering can be seen as a function of ahamkara, caused by errors of avarna and vikshepa. What about the sadness on seeing others suffer, such as the recent killings of Black Americans, even children, innocent victims.I suppose you can call it karuna. How do we accomodate this feeling of empathy, sadness, karuna for the sufferings of others? And how do we act in providing comfort if we see their suffering also as maya.

Thank you.Soma