[Advaita-l] Acollection of articles on Advaita - 'Voice of Shankara'.

Kuntimaddi Sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 26 01:41:33 EDT 2020

Subbuji - PraNAms.
I personally do not agree with her assessment.pramaa means a valid knowledge -validity implies abhaaditatvam - If it is negated later by a better pramaana then the previous pramaa becomes bhramaa, just as in the rope/snake case. Snake perception was real since the secondary effects such as blood pressure went up and the associated fear and its effects which are measurable. When when I see  a snake where the rope is, at that time, it is anadigatam from the point of the snake that I am seeing where the rope is. I am seeing it for the first time.
Even shell silver was valid knowledge until the guy picks us the so-called silvery object and examines to discover it is a shell.
Now apply this to the world. The world is also real until we use a better pramaana (Vedanta) to recognize what we have cognized is bhramaa. adyaaropa apavaada is relays on the abhaadita aspect only.
anadigata is from the point of the perceiver, subject - not from another person's knowledge. I am the only subject in the universe, from my reference. Hence anadigata reference is also from my point only. Adyaasa ultimately is from the subject level.
My 2c.
Hari Om!Sadananda

    On Sunday, April 26, 2020, 09:57:56 AM GMT+5:30, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

 On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 8:16 AM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

> There was an interesting article by Smt. S.Revathy (professor, Madras
> Sanskrit College) on Vedanta paribhAShA. She says that the very condition
> of an object being anadhigata is a sufficient criterion for a valid
> cognition. In other words, the condition of abAdhitatvam as a criterion for
> valid knowledge is superfluous.
>
> Wherever the origination of the object is coeval with perception, it is
> termed jnAtaikasattAka and that puts all such cognitions such as cognition
> of shell in silver (here the object is jnAtaikasattAka), such cognitions
> are not valid knowledge at all, according to VP.
>
> She quotes Shri Madhusudana Saraswati from to substantiate this from his
> work Advaita Ratna rakshaNa.
>
> Incidentally the fact that the requirement that the object is to be
> ajnaatasattaaka (unknown prior to its cognition) - an implicit necessity
> for the condition of anadhigatatvam (unknown prior to its cognition -
> implying that the object exists but is unknown) to be satisfied, places the
> vedAnta paribhAShA epistemology clearly within the ambit of sRShTi dRShTi
> prakriyas.

That is an interesting observation Raghav ji.  In the Drishti srishti
prakriya the very pramana-prameya-pramiti operation is mithya.  All
knowledge/perception activity is  akin to dream perception.

regards
subbu