[Advaita-l] vaidika pooja to bauddha bhikshu-s

KAMESWARARAO MULA kamesh_ccmb at yahoo.co.in
Mon Sep 23 04:27:54 EDT 2019

Can we do vaidika paaduka pooja etc.  to bauddha bhikshu-s by chanting vedic mantra-s (like neeraajana mantra, mantra pushpa etc.)

Bhaskar Ji,
                  Although I don't have authoritative answer for the query but Definetlly i would like to contribute to your query.

When I visited Pasupati Nadh Temple, Kharmandu during my kailash Manasa Sarovar Yatra, I spend couple of day in Nepal obeserved seeveral Buddhist's rituals. In the Paspatinadh Temple back side,  & at the Bank of Bagamati River, several bauddha bikshu's perform the nornal puja & also the final rites there. I witnessed both the type during my stay there. They use our Ghanta (Bell) for the puja, they do harati for their god/godess. They chants some mantra's (not definetly vaideka mantras) but in their own style and performs very nice puja. Yes they do offer mantra pushpam in their puja paddati like offering of flowers with water.

Most Buddhists use ritual in pursuit of their spiritual aspirations. Common devotional practices are receiving a blessing, making merit, making a resolution, prostrating, making offerings, chanting traditional texts and pilgrimage.
In Buddhism, puja's are expressions of "honour, worship and devotional attention."
Acts of puja include bowing, making offerings and chanting.

Some useful information can be found using the Link.
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/ceremonies-srilanka6.pdf

Sri Guru Padaravindarpana Mastu
Kameswara