[Advaita-l] 'Buddha is not an Avatara of Vishnu' - An article in Kannada

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 08:15:38 EDT 2019

Hari Om V Subramanian ji,

Though entire world is manifestation of Brahman alone, yet there is a
difference between birth of ordinary people and that of avatAra. The
manifestation of avatAra is not owing to any prArabdha whereas ordinary
living beings are born due to prArabdha.

This being so, is it justified to say that everyone is avatAra.

In 4.6 Gita BhAshya, Acharya says -- संभवामि देहवानिव भवामि जात इव
आत्ममायया आत्मनः
मायया न परमार्थतो लोकवत्

In 4.9 -- जन्म मायारूपं कर्म च साधूनां परित्राणादि मे मम दिव्यम् अप्राकृतम्
ऐश्वरम्

Those who distinguish Maya and avidya hold that avatAra is owing purely due
to Maya whereas ordinary births have both Maya and avidya
(avidya-samyuktam-avyaktam of 7.4).

In any case, there appears to be a clear distinction between birth of an
avatAra such as Krishna and that of ordinary mortals.

Regards
Sudhanshu.

On Thu 24 Oct, 2019, 16:53 V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l, <