[Advaita-l] PARISHESHA - NYAYAM

KAMESWARARAO MULA kamesh_ccmb at yahoo.co.in
Mon Nov 11 04:01:40 EST 2019

Dear Members,
                        In the absence of any conclusive proof regarding the authorship of the property by a mortal being and by the logic known as the law of the remainder (parisesha-nyaya).

The authority of the great acaryas and saints coming in the bonafide disciplic successions, and ultimately by accepting the testimony of the Vedas themselves, it is reasonably concluded that the Vedas exist eternally and are infallible means of knowledge

In the Tattwa Sandarbha,  Sri Sila Goswami sates that:  "Those who are inquisitive, therefore, about that which is beyond all, yet the support of everything, which is most inconceivable and wondrous in nature, direct perception, inference and so on are not suitable means. For this purpose we accept only the Vedas, whose words are transcendental, which is the source of all mundane and transcendental knowledge, and which have been passed down in humanity through unbroken chains of succession since time immemorial".

We discussed several times the authority of the Veda's due to the fact that direct perception and inference depend on sense perception, which is limited only to empirical objects and which is subject to the four human defects. They cannot be helpful in understanding a realm beyond our senses. By going back along the chain of causes, we can deduce that such a realm exists, but inference can take us no further; nor can it yield valid knowledge about abhidheya, the process of realizing that world. That knowledge can be acquired only through revealed scriptures like Vedas.

As for acquiring transcendental knowledge, sabda pramana, or the Vedas is the only way. They inform us about the soul's existence beyond the body, the spiritual planets, the Supreme Lord, His pastimes and so on. All these subjects are beyond the reach of our sensual and mental faculties. Without the sabda method, philosophers like Lord Buddha, who did not accept the Vedas, are unable to say a word about transcendence let alone explain a means to attain it. Sabda pramana is so important that although Lord Buddha is counted among the incarnations of the Lord, on the strength of Vedic testimony, His philosophy is rejected, because it was not based on sabda pramana. In the similar lines Acharya Sadaji mentioned to me for not accepting the Buddha's theory as it was not supported by the Veda's.

The reason to choose this topic was yesterdays judgement as the media created so much hype since last one week. Although Govt issues several order against social media activities, my intention is just to compare or understand the  concept of " parishesha Nyaya".

The matter was prolonged for 20 years, judgement was so simple , it looks every one present there were happy and more are like a out of court settlement as due to the mutual concurrence was observed.  Will it be called as Justice or Parishesha nyaya?

We can take one example from the Mahabharat as both pandava's & Kaurva's went to seek Krishna's help  and met him at dwaraka. Krishna was so clever, although he has seen duryodhana first , kept quite as he was sleeping  (due to Duryaodhana's ego to sit at the foot of Lord Krishna and he sit adjacent to his head). The moment kirshna getup from sleep and sees arjuna who was standing at his feet and given the first choice to take him without weapon or the entire akshouni's army without him. This make viveki arjuna to choose lord as he knew that with lord's guidance he can win over the Kaurva's army and he doesn't required Krishna'a army. Egoistic Duryodhana was so happy to take Lord's army and responsible for the entire clans's death. He mentioned to Krishna that as a Parishesha Nyaya he seeks his army. Some times Your Ego throws you into the well and make you to throw all your brothers, relatives & friends in to another well.

Sri Guru Padaravindarpana Mastu

Kameswara