[Advaita-l] The world is an illusion - Aldous Huxley

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 22:08:59 EST 2019

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/1163488-the-world-is-an-illusion-but-it-is-an-illusion

 “The world is an illusion, but it is an illusion that we must take
seriously, because it is as real as it goes, and in those aspects of
reality which we are capable of apprehending. Our business is to wake up.
We have to find ways in which to detect the whole of reality in the one
illusory part which our self-centered consciousness permits us to see. We
must not live thoughtlessly, taking our illusion for the complete reality,
but at the same time we must not live too thoughtfully in the sense of
trying to escape from the dream state. We must continually be on our watch
for ways in which we may enlarge our consciousness. We must not attempt to
live outside the world, which is given to us, but we must somehow learn how
to transform it and transfigure it. Too much 'wisdom' is as bad as too
little wisdom, and there must be no magic tricks. We must learn to come to
reality without the enchanter's wand and his book of the words. One must
find a way of being in this world while not being in it. A way of living in
time without being completely swallowed up by time.”

― Aldous Huxley