[Advaita-l] Was Bhishma ashamed of speaking of the glories and 1000 names of Shiva?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon May 27 02:31:46 EDT 2019

In the Bharatamanjari, Kshemendra of 11th Century CE, at this juncture has
composed this shloka as being said by Bhishma:

हरिरेव हरं वेत्ति हरो वेत्ति तथा हरिम् |

एकैव मूर्तिरनयोः कारणाद्द्वैतमाश्रिता ||

[Hari alone knows Hara and Hara alone knows Hari. One Murti, form, entity,
alone of these two, Hari and Hara, has, for a reason, taken two forms.] He
uses the word 'dvaitam' for the purpose.

Thus we see that ancient Vedantins, naturally Advaitins, alone have
demonstrated such a correct understanding of Veda Vyasa's intent.
Non-Vedantins who are sectarians will find the above idea reprehensible.
NilakanTha's comments also depict the way of the sampradaya Acharyas.
Kshemendra's words find authenticity in none other's words than that of
Veda Vyasa himself:

रुद्रो नारायणश्चैव सत्त्वमेकं द्विधा कृतम्।
लोके चरति कौन्तेय व्यक्तिस्थं सर्वकर्मसु।। 12-350-27a 12-350-27b.
 Mahabharata

[Rudra and Narayana are only two manifestations of One Principle.......]

regards
subbu

.