[Advaita-l] A POINT

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri May 10 02:24:51 EDT 2019

On Fri, 10 May 2019, sreenivasa murthy via Advaita-l wrote:

> Dear friends,   Here  is  an  excerpt  which  clearly  reflects  the
> present condition prevailing in the so  called  traditional  teachingof
> Advaita  Vedanta.This is my personal  observation who has
> studiedVedanta  at the  feet  of  my  Revered  Guru  whobased  his
> teaching  on  Sri  Shankara's  commentaries.

Having just completed the celebration of Shankara Jayanti, reading this
leaves a bad taste in the mouth.  A guru is to be judged by the quality of
his disciples so it is probably for the best you don't mention his name
because you bring disrepute to him every time you post this kind of
nonsense which unfortunately has been many times over the years.

The basic fact which you do not seem to grasp even though it has been
explained to you many time is that Advaita Vedanta is a practical method
for the kalyana of all beings at all levels.  Certainly some mahatmas have
reached the point where there is no need for systems.  If you are one of
them by all means repair to the Himalayas.  But this is "a _discussion
group_ for Advaita Vedanta."  Whenever you have a dialogue between two or
more people there has to be some formal framework for the discussion
otherwise they would just be shouting slogans at each other.  The
participants in the dialogue must be able to make sense of the
discussions and the evidence presented therein.  This is the systematic
aspect of Advaita Vedanta and far from being some kind of aberration is
one of its pillars: shravana, _manana_, and nidhidhyasana.  You say your
guru bases his teaching on Shankaracharyas bhashyas?  Ask him to describe
their contents to you.  You may be surprised as to how much systemizing is
going on.