[Advaita-l] Whether darkness is bhava - Vivarana Prameya Samgraha of Shri Vidyaranya

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Wed May 8 06:51:37 EDT 2019

Raghav ji,

in antaryAmI-prakaraNa, prithivI does not refer to astronomical body
prithivI but to prithivI devatA. That is clear from bhAShya. The prakarana
is adhidaivta. That is also clear from bhashya. AdhibhUta and adhyAtma come
subsequently. Therefore, it is clear that one cannot infer darkness from
the word tamas. You will notice that even 'dik' is enlisted. Therefore, we
need to find out as to which devata is referred here. That is elaborated in
Ajatashatru prakarana. There, the devatas are explained. I quote:- दिक्षु
कर्णयोः हृदि चैका देवता *अश्विनौ* देवाववियुक्तस्वभावौ ..... बाह्ये तमसि
अध्यात्मं च आवरणात्मकेऽज्ञाने हृदि च एका देवता, तस्या विशेषणम् — *मृत्युः*
.....  With these references, is it not clear that antarayami-prakarana
cannot be used to prove existence of tamas as an object like table, chair
because it is intended for respective devatAs..

Sudhanshu.

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 3:36 PM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <