[Advaita-l] Whether darkness is bhava - Vivarana Prameya Samgraha of Shri Vidyaranya

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Tue May 7 06:45:20 EDT 2019

Namaste Sudhanshu ji

Firstly thank you for an interesting discussion.

You wrote -
 If a view is held
> that
> > darkness is required to see these, then it is countered easily because
> even
> > in daytime, when a monochromatic light of wavelength 700 nm is flashed,
> you
> > would know it and hence darkness is no sine qua non for perception of
> > photons of wavelength 380 to 740 nm.

For the record -
We don't by see a flashlight of a certain frequency if there is already
intense enough light at that frequency. It needs a prior background of
'darkness' at that frequency for that particular light to become known.

An example would be how stars, which are like mini flashlights are not
visible during daytime due to absence of darkness on account of light
scattering of sunlight  by air.

On another note -
There were earlier discussions on bhAvarupatvaM of tamaH and the point that
Chandramouli ji made came up viz., it (avidyA) is bhAva-rUpA . A pramANa
too was supplied in that earlier discussion for this idea disambiguating
bhAva from bhAvarUpA. I would request Chandramouli ji or Subbuji to help
with this reference.

This discussion on tamaH was regarded as important enough for all our
Acharyas from SrI PadmapAda  to SrI vidyAraNya go to great pains to
establish that avidyA is not abhAvarUpA. So although the discussion might
seem to be a hair splitting one, it's not so .

Om
Raghav

On Tue 7 May, 2019, 1:22 PM Sudhanshu Shekhar via Advaita-l, <