[Advaita-l] A short explanation on 'adhanDAkAra vRtti' by Sri Mani Dravid Sastrinah

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Tue May 7 02:21:12 EDT 2019

kshetrajna is vijnAnAtman and this vijnAnAtman / kshetrajna svarUpa is
sAkshi cheetah which is samaH, ekaH, kUtastha nityaH and sarvasya Atma as
well.  This is what implied in the statement sAkshi witnesses the AtmAkAra
vrutti in manas ??

Hari Om,

(a) The swarUpa of kshetrajna is not sAkshi. SwarUpa of kshetrajna is
Brahman. Kshetrajna/jIva/pratyagAtma/vijnAnAtmA/purusha are synonyms.  पुरुषः
जीवः क्षेत्रज्ञः भोक्ता इति पर्याय: (गीता भाष्य १३.२०) - I know it will
invite some huge discussion from which I will desist. Just sharing my view.

There are two visions of this kshetrajna. One is nitya-drishti, other is
anitya-drishti (Brihad Aranyak 1.4.10). The anitya-drishti is through
adhyAsa wherein the activity of kshetra is adhyasta in it. The
nitya-drishti is by upachara. So when we say - I see a tree, there are two
inbuilt statements: (i) I see a tree (ii) I see that I see a tree. While
the (i) is because of adhyAsa, the (ii) is because of upachAra (Gita
bhashya 13.2). It is the nitya-drishti of kshetrajna through which the
absence of ahamkAra is seen in deep sleep.

(b) Yeah. I missed 'not'.

Regards.
Sudhanshu.

--