[Advaita-l] Whether darkness is bhava - Vivarana Prameya Samgraha of Shri Vidyaranya

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Sun May 5 10:03:10 EDT 2019

Hari Om Venkataraghavan ji,

I had read your email carefully. Only after that I posed my question
carefully.

1. By your response to first query, it appears that you mean that there is
no hard and fast rule of having the previous knowledge of pratiyogi. You
would agree that as per you, it is impossible to know the pratiyogi in case
abhava is defined as ~(A1 & A2.. & An). And yet you contemplate (rightly)
that it can be known. A contradiction. Is it not?

2. Darkness is needed to perceive photons? Suppose a monochromatic light of
wavelength 380 nm is present. And you beam an additional monochromatic
light of wavelength 700nm. Don't you think that we will be able to see the
additional light notwithstanding the absence of darkness. Therefore, it
cannot be a rule that darkness is sine qua non for perception of light.
Perception of light is due to inherent nature of photons and eyes. Darkness
does not seem to have any connection therewith as illustrated above.

Regards.
Sudhanshu.