[Advaita-l] Whether darkness is bhava - Vivarana Prameya Samgraha of Shri Vidyaranya

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sun May 5 08:47:38 EDT 2019

Namaste

On Sun, 5 May 2019, 11:48 Sudhanshu Shekhar, <sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hari Om Venkataraghavan ji,
>
> the defect of impossibility which you raised in (~A1 & ~A2 .. & ~An)
> namely absence of previous knowledge of all types of Aloka is equally
> present in ~(A1 & A2 ... & An). Isn't it?

To know that all Aloka together are not there, you would still need to know
> all Aloka. So that does not distinguish the case and hence should not be a
> point of rejection.

No, because even if one light is absent, the condition of sarvAloka absence
is met if it is defined as ~(A1 & A2 ... & An). So, a candidate for the
definition exists.

Whereas if sarvAloka absence is defined as ~A1 & ~A2 .. & ~An), a candidate
for the definition would only emerge if every light was absent. Such a
candidate cannot exist for the reasons outlined previously, hence the
charge of asambhava lakshaNa.

Btw to clarify, I didn't say that one needs to have the absence of prior
knowledge of all types of light to know sarvAloka abhAva (per your
definition), I said one should have prior knowledge of all types of light
to know sarvAloka abhAva. The absence of knowledge is not knowledge of
absence.

> My problem is that the interpreted definition of purva paksha as ~(A1 & A2
> ... & An) is downright incorrect because it would entail even daytime as
> darkness. Should we think of purva-paksha as such a silly one as posing
> daytime as darkness and seeking rebuttal?

Not really, because this is primarily meant to refute a false extrapolation
to a universal rule based on limited observed data.

So while even the frivolous pUrvapakshi is addressed, it is meant to refute
those situations where people mistake the light sources they know as all
the light there is, and based on the absence of those light sources,
conclude that all light is absent and therefore hold that the nature of
darkness is the absence of all light.

> Further, just explaining my argument a bit more -- if darkness is defined
> as absence of photons having wavelengths 380 to 740 nm -- how would you
> refute it in line with VPS or for that matter as per any argument of
> Vivarana school. So my argument is -- darkness is not bhava but merely
> absence of photons having wavelength 380-740 nm. What would be the rebuttal.

A possible rebuttal could be that a single photon is not visible to the
naked eye, so darkness defined as the absence of a single photon is not
tenable, wavelength notwithstanding.

What about a group of photons?

In experimental conditions, it was demonstrated that a minimum of 90
photons have to enter the eye for them to be visible to the naked eye, but
there was a requirement that the room be dark for that amount of light to
be visible.
(http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Quantum/see_a_photon.html)

Therefore, one could argue that to define darkness as the absence of a
group of photons (of a wavelength within the visible spectrum) is not
tenable, because darkness is needed to see that group of photons in the
first place.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan