[Advaita-l] Whether darkness is bhava - Vivarana Prameya Samgraha of Shri Vidyaranya

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Sat May 4 23:54:46 EDT 2019

Hari Om Pravin ji,

The truth-table is of a simple NAND.

A1 A2 Darkness
0   0   1
0   1   1
1   0   1
1   1   0 (absence of darkness)

If A1 is 0 and A2 is 1, then as per your truth table - the darkness is 1
i.e. Darkness is there-----. that is -- say torchlight (A1) is not there
but sunlight (A2) is there, then will there be darkness? It won't be.
However, as per the interpreted definition of sarva-Aloka-abhAva, there
will be darkness. Hence this cannot be the intention of V.

This definition of sarva-Aloka-abhAva as !(A1 & A2 .. & An) is against
pratyaksha.. it does not make sense.. does it?

Regards.
Sudhanshu.

On Sun 5 May, 2019, 01:47 Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l, <