[Advaita-l] Kalpitatva of Devata nama-rupa-s [was: SIDDHANTA KAUMADI]

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri May 3 13:41:51 EDT 2019

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 8:00 PM V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The 'HarimeeDe stotram' or 'Hari stuti' is a work admitted by all as that
> of Shankaracharya.  It is full of Vedanta vichara. It also has a
> commentary. Here Shankara says:
> https://sanskritdocuments.org/doc_vishhnu/harimIDestotra.html?lang=sa
>

> ब्रह्मा विष्णू रुद्रहुताशौ रविचन्द्राविन्द्रो वायुर्यम इतीत्थं *परिकल्प्य* ।
> एकं सन्तं यं बहुधाहुर्मतिभेदात् तं संसारध्वान्तविनाशं हरिमीडे ॥ १८॥

By the word 'mati bhedaat' Shankara conveys that each person takes one or
the other of the above to be the Supreme depending on his taste.

Adi Shankara's Harimide stotram, with commentary
Haritattvamuktavali by Svayamprakasha Yati

You can access this file at the
URL:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/advaitin/files/Haritattvamuktavali.pdf

It is believed there is a tika by Anandagiri too for this work.

From the commentary to this verse it can be seen that 'Hari (Brahman) is 'sarva

devatAtmaka' - that is, all devata-s are within Brahman. The 'all' includes

the Vishnu enumerated by Shankara in the verse. By this Shankara is

stating the Turiya (Hari) who is the Supreme Brahman within whom Vishnu, etc.

devata-s obtain. The verse also means what I have said at the beginning

above.

Here is a significant statement of Shankara in the Brahmasutra bhashya

2.1.33: It should not be missed that the shruti delineating creation
is not of absolute reality; its

subject matter being the name-form vyavahara concocted by avidya. The real

purport of the creation shruti is to establish the Brahman-Atman realization.

 न चेयं परमार्थविषया सृष्टिश्रुतिः ; अविद्याकल्पितनामरूपव्यवहारगोचरत्वात् ,

ब्रह्मात्मभावप्रतिपादनपरत्वाच्च — इत्येतदपि नैव विस्मर्तव्यम् ॥ ३३ ॥……