[Advaita-l] SIDDHANTA KAUMADI

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Fri May 3 03:35:51 EDT 2019

Hari Om Bhaskar ji,

I agree with what you said. However, let us be a little patient here. It is
undeniable that there are allegories in Puranas. I will take an example. In
case of Bhagvat, in the Bhagvat-Mahatmya, there is a story of Gokarna who
was a preta and who listened to Bhagvat katha while being hidden in a
bamboo with seven nodes. After each day of listening of Bhagvat katha,
there was a noise and one node of that bamboo would break. After seven days
of hearing, all seven nodes stood broken and Gokarna appeared as a
gandharv/devata :-) . I found it simple to relate with seven chakras.

Now, the question is, when both allegory (imagination) and history
(satyatva) are present, how to find as to which is allegory and which is
fact.

To think of a God sleeping on Sheshanaga, on whose head rests our mother
earth, and who in turn is situated in a ksheera-sagara does not seem too
good for vyavharika satyatva either.

I am raising the question because I am dissatisfied with
complete-allegoical or complete-factual explanations of our Purana/Smritis.
And hence lies the confusion.

Regards.
Sudhanshu.