[Advaita-l] Question about Sri Vidyaranya's JMV & jnani matra

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Mar 28 04:22:15 EDT 2019

<<  And Bhagavan then remarks on your point:

*“It may well be asked, ‘If there is no ‘I’ (aham), how did he speak?’ When properly understood, that which occurred as ‘I’ before, becomes our own Nature (swarupa) afterwards. That is called destruction of mind (mano nasa). That thought- free awareness or other signs of awareness are cases of merging (laya) and not of destruction (nasa). So long as there is merging and emerging, it is merely a state of spiritual practice (sadhana),” said Bhagavan.*

So the I is replaced by our own nature; the mind is destroyed but speaking is possible. These are paradoxes, of course, but how else to explain the inexplicable?  >>,

praNAms Sri Akhilesh prabhuji
Hare Krishna

If I remember right, bhagavaan by citing the example of clock explains how the jnAni can interact without the mind (manOnAsha, kArika ofcourse has the reference of manOnAsha in the jnAni).  For that matter Shruti while talking about Atma svarUpa explains how Atman  can  walk without legs, how can he see without eyes, how can he near but too far, how can it run more faster than speed of the mind (manOvega) while standing still 😊 etc. apANipAdO javanO graheetA pasyatachakshuH sa shruNotyakarNaH.  The jnAni is the one who has realized this Atma svarUpa and he is fully established himself in seemingly tadviruddha lakshaNa Atman and more importantly HE_IS_ATMAN / BRAHMAN...So, if he says I can talk without mouth, I can walk without legs, I can hear without ears etc. For the onlookers / ajnAni-s this renderings may sound senseless but it is a fact that jnAni's seemingly contradictory statements like this is the result of Atmaikatva samyak jnana.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar