[Advaita-l] Prapanchasara: Shankara alludes to the 'Sharabha-Shiva' episode from the Kalikapurana

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Mar 21 06:40:59 EDT 2019

Recently we saw the Parasara smriti saying the Trimurtis are born and perish in each kalpa.  Actually this is not any real birth and perishing, but Brahman assuming these roles and withdrawing them.  To take the Trimurtis as persons is the biggest mistake. If we take that they are tattvas then there will be no quarrel.

praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Yes, as somebody said we need the bhAshya for purANa-s more than Upanishads 😊 Instead of literally interpreting these episodes in purANa-s we should try to derive the vedAntic meaning behind these allegories.  Just listened HH bhArati teertha's interpretation with regard to moon on shiva's head and poison in shiva's throat.  I think interpretations / explanations like this more useful than literally knotting the moon with locks of shiva and pouring the poison in his throat 😊 if vishNu forgot himself and happy with his pig family, if the parama jnAni like bhagavatpAda lost his sense in king's body, then these episodes should have some enigmatic meaning than its face value.  By reading these episodes literally we should not come to the conclusion that bhagavAn is like bhrAnta jeeva happy to play with his family members in gutter,  Instead,  we should think how, we the loukika-s by identifying ourselves with deha, buddhi, ahamkara would suffer in samsara and need the guru / Shruti vAkya to come out of this vicious circle.  Thinking on those lines would be more fruitful for our AtmOnnati than scratching our heads with regard to purely personal family matters of celestial being 😊

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar