[Advaita-l] Tattvamasi - Advaita and Dvaita approach

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 22:24:31 EST 2019

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 1:05 AM Srinath Vedagarbha via Advaita-l <

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 11:37 PM Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l <
>
> > Namaste
> >
> > One person in the video is arguing we can say Sa Atma Tat Tvam Asi and we
> > can also say Sa Atma Atat Tvam Asi because of Sanskrit Sandhi rules.
> True.
> > If we use Sandhi rules we can say Atat Tvam Asi. But what happens now?
> Atat
> > Tvam Asi is like saying Anatma Tvam Asi because he said Sa Atma and Atat
> > here means Not Atma. Anatma only.
> >

> That is wrong understanding of vyakaraNa. The negation "A-kaara" in that
> statement is not that for tat pada, but it is the negation of identity
> between tat and tvam.

The above will be true only if there is only one meaning for 'nang' नञ्.
There are six meanings for that particle:

https://tinyurl.com/y6th822h

तत्सादृश्यमभावश्च तदन्यत्वं तदल्पता । अप्राशस्त्यं विरोधश्च नञर्था: षट्
प्रकीर्तिता: ॥ The negation particle नञ्‌ may convey any of the following
senses –
i) तत्सादृश्यम् – similarity to that which is being negated.
ii) अभाव: – absence of that which is being negated.
iii) तदन्यत्वम् – different from that which is being negated.
iv) तदल्पता – smallness of that which is being negated.
v) अप्राशस्त्यम् – non-praiseworthiness.
vi) विरोध: – opposite of that which is being negated.

What you have taken is the no.2 above. What Venkatesh Murthy has said is
the no.6. For example in 'adharma', the meaning of nang is the 6th one:
opposite of dharma. So, since Tat in the vaakya refers to 'Atma' which is
the jagatkaaranam, essence of the jagat (aitadAtmyam idam sarvam), 'atat'
will mean that which is the opposite of Atma, Or it can also be no.3 stated
above.

regards
vs