[Advaita-l] Partlessness of Brahman and Maya

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 12:49:11 EDT 2019

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 9:27 PM H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l <

> Namaste.
>

> Please see last sentence of Bhashya on Mandukya 3-3, copied here
>

> << यदा मन्दबुद्धिप्रतिपिपादयिषया श्रुत्या आत्मनो जातिरुच्यते जीवादीनाम् ,
> तदा जातावुपगम्यमानायाम् एतत् निदर्शनं दृष्टान्तः यथोदिताकाशवदित्यादिः ॥ >>
>
> << yadA mandabuddhipratipipAdayiShayA shrutyA Atmano jAtiruchyate jIvAdInAm
> , tadA jAtAvupagamyamAnAyAm etat nidarshanaM dRRiShTAntaH
> yathoditAkAshavadityAdiH || >>,
>
> Illustration of AkAsha is not to be taken literally as Sidhanta. It is
> meant to explain easily to mandabudhis. It applies to all other instances
> where the same technique is adopted in respect of AkAsha as representing
> Brahman. Otherwise AkAsha has to be taken as nitya which is also stated in
> the Mandukya Bhashya on 4-99 cited by you.

Actually, your last sentence above is the subject matter of discussion,
partly, though. nravayavatvaat nityam.  Just because it is an analogy, the
attribute/s common to drishtanta and daarshtaantika will not be obviated.
Only because of the commonality there can be room for analogy.

regards
subbu