[Advaita-l] How is AkAsha Niravayava

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 03:33:06 EDT 2019

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 12:07 PM Praveen R. Bhat <bhatpraveen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the Brahmasutra references, Subbuji. Venkataraghavanji has also
> quoted the same reference. Overall, one thing is clear that we have
> exception seen when it comes to AkASha/Maya/avidyA, as no independent tarka
> can be perfect. How so can likely be answered only by mAyayA sarvasya
> sambhavAt.

Very well stated Praveen ji, even in the very cited sutra bhashya/s we have
two crucial statements that are relevant to this discussion:

1.  तर्काप्रतिष्ठानात्सावयवत्वमेवेति चेत् - the non-settling nature of
(kevala) tarka is stated, though, here by the purvapakshin (sankhya)

2. That we have to rely on shabda, shruti alone in certain things:

शब्दमूलं च ब्रह्म शब्दप्रमाणकम् , नेन्द्रियादिप्रमाणकम् ;
तद्यथाशब्दमभ्युपगन्तव्यम्  Brahma (and Maya) have to be seen as taught by
the shruti; both are beyond sense perception and we have to accept what the
shruti says in their respect.

In some place the Bhashyakara has said 'while the Pradhana of the sankhya
is based on tarka, the shakti, maya, of the Vedantin is based on shabda,
veda.' The Sankhya has tried to argue that his jagat kaaraNam is also
admitted by shabda and that is refuted strongly by showing that the avyakta
of the upanishad is not the pradhana of the sankhya.

warm regards
subbu