[Advaita-l] GARUDA PURANAM

KAMESWARARAO MULA kamesh_ccmb at yahoo.co.in
Mon Jun 17 12:06:52 EDT 2019

There is an example of the efficacy of gifts for the higher body of story King Babhruvahana.
In  the Treta yuga period, the delightful city ofMahodaya a king named Babhruvahana,who was very powerful and firm in righteousness. A sacrificer, Lord of Gifts,prosperous, a lover of Brahmaṇs,valuing the good, endowed with good character and of good conduct,compassionate, skilled, Righteously protecting his subjects as though they werehis own sons, always delighting in Kṣhatriya duties and punishing the guilty. Once, that powerful king,with his army, went hunting. He entered a thick forest, full of various kindsof trees, Crowded with various species of animals, and resounding with thecries of various birds. In the midst of the forest the king saw a deer in thedistance and shooted an arrow over it as a part of his hobby & duty also. Thedeer, severely wounded by his very hard arrow, ran out of sight into theinterior of the forest, carrying the arrow with him. The king, following theblood-stains on the grass, pursued the deer and came into another forest, he ishungry and with parched throat, fainting with the heat and with fatigue, coming to a lake bathed in it with hishorse.

Then,having drunk of that cool water, rendered fragrant by the-pollen of the lotus,Babhruvahana came out of the water refreshed and saw a delightful fig-tree,giving cool shade with its large spreading boughs, sounding with many birds andstanding like a big standard over the whole forest. The king approached and satat its root.

Nowhe beheld a Departed One, ofterrible appearance, humpbacked and fleshless, with hair erect, dirty and withsenses discomposed by hunger and thirst, Seeing him deformed and dreadful, Babhruvahana wondered. The DepartedOne, also seeing the king who had come to that dreadful forest and becoming filled with curiosity, came near to him.Then Tarkṣya, this king of the Departed spoke thus to the king:

I have escapedthe condition of the Departed and reached the highest condition, by being intouch with you, O Great-Armed one,I am highly blessed. The king said: "OBlack-complexioned and Gaping-mouthed, bywhat bad deeds did you reach this state of the Departed, dreadful to see, andhighly unhappy?" Tell me in detail the cause of your condition, dear.Who are you and by what gifts will your condition as Departed pass away?"The Departed one said: "I will tell you everything from the beginning, OBest of Kings. You will surely have compassion upon me when you have heard thecause of my condition as Departed.

There is a townnamed Vaidasa, possessed of all prosperity, having many districts and aboundingin precious stones of various kinds, Beautiful with palaces and mansions and inwhich many religious acts are performed. There, O Reverend Sir, I dwelt, alwaysengaged in worship of the Shining Ones. By caste I am a Vaishya, by nameSudeva. By fire-offering I pleased the Shining Ones, and likewisethe forefathers by food. I gladdened the twice-born by offering various gifts.I gave food of various kinds to the poor, the blind and the wretched. All this,O King, through my evil fate has proved fruitless. How my good deeds provedfruitless I will relate to you. I haveno offspring, no companion, no relative and no friend like you, who willperform for me the ceremonies for the-higher body.

O great king, Ifthe sixteen monthly Sraddhas, are not performed, the condition as Departedbecomes firmly fixed, even if hundreds of annual Sraddhas are performed forhim. Uplift me then, O Lord of Earth, by doing the ceremonies for my higherbody. It is said that in this world the king is the kinsman of all castes.Therefore, O Lord of Kings, help me over and I will give you a most preciousjewel, so that my departed condition may be destroyed and my higher statearise. In that manner please act, O warrior, if you desire my welfare.Suffering from the misery of hunger and thirst, I cannot endure this departedcondition.

In this forest there is sweet and cool water and pleasantfruits, but I am not able to grasp them at all, although afflicted with hungerand thirst. if the great Narayaṇa rite is performed for me, O King, along with all the ceremoniesfor the higher body, with Vaidic mantras, Then surely my condition as departedwill unfailingly pass away. Vaidic mantras, austerities, gifts and compassionto all beings, Listening to holy scriptures, worship of Viṣhṇu, association with the good these, Ihave heard, are the destroyers of the departed condition.

So Iwill tell you about the worship of Viṣhṇu, the destroyer of the departed condition. Bring two piecesof gold, honestly gained, and make one image of Narayaṇa from them, O King, Dress it with a pairof yellow cloths, put on it various ornaments, bathe it in many waters andplacing it, you should worship thus. Place Sridhara  to the east of it, Madhusudana to the south, to the west Vamanadeva  to the north Gadadhara, In the middle Pitamaha and also Maheswara, Worship these in turn with sandal-paste and flowers, according tothe rite.

Then,having gone round them, make offerings in the fire to these deities. Makeofferings to the universal deities with clarified butter, curds and milk. Next,having bathed, calm and controlled in mind, the sacrificer should perform,according to the rite, in front of Narayaṇa, the ceremony for the upper body. He must commence, asprescribed in the scriptures, by giving up anger and greed, and perform all theceremonies and the release of a bull. Then he must give thirteen sets of potsto Brahmiṇs, and havingmade the gift of a bed, consecrate a pot of water for the sake of the departed.

Theking said, How is the pot for thedeparted to be prepared, and in accordance with what rites must it begiven? Tell me, on account of my sympathy for all, about the pot which givesrelease to the departed. The departed said: "Oh Great King, you have donewell in asking this. Please take notice and l will describe that good gift bywhich the departed condition cannot exist. Thegift which is named 'the pot for the departed,' is a destroyer of all evil.In all the worlds it is difficult to obtain this dissipater of evil conditions.Having prepared apot of refined gold, consecrated it to Brahma and Kesava  and all the guardians of the quarters, filledit with clarified butter and worshipped before it with devotion, give it to atwice-born. What good are a hundred other gifts from you? Brahma in the middle,likewise Viṣhṇu, and Sankara,eternal giver of happiness, in the east and other directions, in the neck ofit, the guardians of the universe in order.O King, These having duly worshipped,  with incenses, flowers and sandal-paste, one should give away the goldenpot, full of milk and clarified butter.

This gift, OKing, which is superior to all other gifts in removing great sins, should bemade with faith, for the release of the departed. The Blessed Lord spoke on Hisarmy, while he was thus conversing with the departed, followed him up, withelephants, horses and chariots, O Kasyapa. On the arrival of the army thedeparted one, having given the great jewel to the king, bowed to him, againimplored him, and became invisible. Having come out of the forest, the king returnedto his city, and arrived there remembering all that was said by the departedone. He duly performed the rites andceremonies for the dweller in the upper body and the departed, released by these sacred gifts, attained heaven.  By the Shraddha,performed even by a stranger, the departed attain a happy state what wonderthen that when the son performs it the father should reach it!

He who hears, and he who causes others to hear thisholy history, never go to the departed condition, though they may have actedsinfully.
Jyeshta Suddha PournamiSri Guru Padaravindarpana MastuKameswara