[Advaita-l] Where are the seekers?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 21:43:24 EDT 2019

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 2:37 AM Akilesh Ayyar via Advaita-l <

> Namaste,
>
> Where, today, are the bulk of the true spiritual seekers in the world to be
> found?
>
> Is the number growing or diminishing? Are there many or are there few?
>
> In the US at least, those few who have real existential curiosity tend to
> gravitate towards Buddhism, not Hinduism. American Hindus by and large do
> not seem to possess a real longing for Truth — at least so it seems to me.
> Perhaps I am misinformed.
>
> Is the situation different in India or Europe or elsewhere?

The quantum of seekers may not be visible since we live in the internet
age. Yet in India, you can judge the quantum by viewing the people who
attend classes/talks, etc. of teachers like Swami Paramarthananada, Nochur
Venkataraman, etc. There are other languages like Tamil, Kannada, Telugu
where teachers attract a huge following. There are many such in the North
too in Hindi.  When we see the number of books on Vedanta published by
various institutions, that can also be an indication. Then there are
discussion groups, whatsapp groups, FB, etc. where there are people both
active and silent.

Of course all this has to be seen in the background of Krishna's statement:
it is a rare few that seek and a rarer few that really attain.

regards
subbu