[Advaita-l] A beautiful story is told about a great mystic, Nagarjuna

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 07:18:04 EDT 2019

On Wed 12 Jun, 2019, 3:58 PM Bhaskar YR via Advaita-l, <

> praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> Since it is not about vedAnta, I hope I could get the clarification from
> you about this story.  Well, watching the breathing is the technique
> adopted to improve our concentration (dhAraNa / ekAgrata), Swamy
> Vivekananda also suggested this method for improving concentration but not
> able to understand who it can be an effective tool to get vairAgya?? For
> getting vairAgya nityAnitya vastu viveka is not required??
>
> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar

Namaste Bhaskarji
You could perhaps do the 10 day silent Vipassana meditation course in
Bangalore etc., where there is 9 hours or more of meditation everyday.
Several people run away on day 2 or 3 of the course!

Such a course will *totally* clarify the matter otherwise we will only
intellectualize it!

The AnA-pAna sati (Pali for their breath observation based method) does
give a sort of vairagya because, the method they follow is to allow the
arising and falling away (upejjetvA nirujyanti) of various thoughts and
emotions and most importantly vedana-s (bodily sensations). And the
meditator is asked to maintain sammA satI (Pali for samyak smRti) which is,
to be equipoised without aversion (dveSha) or attachment (rAga) to whatever
comes up. So in that sense it does strengthen vairAgya (vi-rAgasya bhAvah).
They have an elaborate theory whereby all other pains and pleasures and
vixepas are 'reductionistically' analyzed by looking at the corresponding
bodily vedana-s which arise concomittantly and then one is tasked to be
objective towards them through the breath observation and body-scan methods
they prescribe. (The method includes not only breath observation but also
body-scan methods including special focus on the spinal cord - indicative
of yoga sUtra influences. )

If a vedAntin tries it, he may find it quite nice actually, although then
he may find that it will be a case of 'necchannapi nidhidhyAsanam Eva
bhavati' for him.

Om
Raghav