[Advaita-l] Is the eternity and apaurusheyatva of Vedas

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 7 20:46:29 EDT 2019

These persons mentioned in the Veda are not the same historical persons. For instances Visvamitra, the drashta of Gayatri mantra is not the historical person who took Rama and Lakshmana to protect his yaaga.
Also we need to note that Vedic sentences are of four (or five) types. Of these only the vidhi (including nishedh) vaakyas are important. Arthavaadas (bulk of the Vedic corpus) are not literally true and are there to support the vidhi vaakyas. Mantras are jnaapakas and the residual category is naamadheya.

Regards,
Senani

  On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 at 3:17 AM, Sriram Sankaranarayanan via Advaita-l<advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:   Namaskarams,

When we say that the Vedas are apaurusheya, are the words (and syllables) in the veda along with the swaras apaurusheya themselves or is the taatparya apaurusheya?

For example, if Vedas talk about Yagnyavalkya having a conversation in Janaka's court or with Maitreyi, shouldn't it mean that those passages did not exist at the time of Yagnyavalkya? And after Yagnyavalkya had those discussions, the passages arose?

Or if the passages are eternal, then do we consider that Yagnyavalkya, Maitreyi and Janaka mentioned in the vedas are fictional and are mentioned only to give us the knowledge of the Brahman?

Namaskarams

Sriram

P.S. I am an early level student, asking this due to lack of appropriate knowledge. Please pardon any error from me.