[Advaita-l] Shankara's opinion about Sannyasa for a Kshatriya

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 10:47:38 EDT 2019

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 6:41 PM Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l <

> Namaste,
>
> There are some people who are always rooting for a fight, perhaps because
> of their background of training from outside Advaita-Vedanta and from
> within their own school of AV. They are those hit and run cases that hit by
> calling others names. The worst of the opportunists say that "since you two
> are hitting each other below the belt, I am right"! Its no matter whether
> such is just a tactic used in tarka without any commitment to it. Mind you,
> Bhagavan Sureshvaracharya himself does so in Naishkarmyasiddhi with
> Purvamimamsakas. Thankfully, they give some respect to him who though
> proven to differ from self-acclaimed shuddha-shAnkara-prakriyA is not
> differing at all, like *other* vyAkhyAnakAras! The same Vartikakara, who I
> hope is an expert to them like their very own guru/s, said that
> prakriyAbheda is just that, nothing more, by:
> यया यया भवेत् पुंसां व्युत्पत्तिः प्रत्यगात्मनि ।
> सा सैव प्रक्रियेह स्यात् साध्वी सा चानवस्थिता॥
> but that is not useful to them as it doesn't help paint others yellow with
> their jaundiced eye. The complex that "my guru is the guru, others are a
> bunch of jokers anyway" is an attitude-problem. Be it so. Oh, wait, a
> smiley would help tone down the seriousness as its all very funny! :-)

Very nicely stated. Actually the knowledge of Purvamimamsaa nyaya: nahi
nindaa nindyam ninditum pravartate, api ca vidheyam stotum, is not
understood by them. When one vyakhyanakara appears to use unsavory words
about the other, he is actually showing his prakriyaa to be the one fit to
be followed. Not that he is really cutting the other to pieces.

regards
subbu