[Advaita-l] Shankara's opinion about Sannyasa for a Kshatriya

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 08:24:14 EDT 2019

Hari Om V Subramanian ji,

Indeed you have summarized very well if I have understood exactly what you
actually meant. Vartika is definitely differing with bhashya as clearly
mentioned by Anandagiri also by using the words -- भाष्य-अभिप्रायम् उक्त्वा
स्व-अभिप्रायेण...

In bhashya, we see the following. (i) Sanyasa with linga such as
yajnopavita etc. for attainment of Brahma-loka etc (ii) VividishA SanyAsa
or karma-sanyasa of Gita Bhashya 5.2 or
anAtma-vit-kartrik-sanyAsa.[Bhashyakara has not used the term
vividisha-sanyasa, hence imho it is always safer to restrict to the usage
of karma-sanyasa] (iii) sarva-karma-sanyasa of Gita Bhashya 5.12. (iv)
sanyasa-post-Moksha (we need to infer it actually. Not stated explicitly as
such).

There is a sequence mentioned in Gita 5.12.
Karma-yoga--sattva-shuddhi--jnana-prapti--sarva-karma-sanyasa-jnana-nishtha--Moksha.
The alternative of karma-yoga is karma-sanyasa of 5.2. Now the question
arises as to whether sarva-karma-sanyasa, which is precursor to
jnana-nishtha, is vidvat-sanyasa OR the natural state of a person
post-Moksha is vidvat sanyAsa for e.g. the state of jada Bharata. The
precursor to jnana-nishtha, sarv-karma-sanyasa, is a vidhi because
pre-Moksha, vidhi operates. It is stated by Bhashyakara, मुमुक्षो:
सर्व-कर्म-सन्यास-विधानात्.

In this background, as per my understanding of bhAshya vAkyas:-

(1) Sanyasa with linga ---- karma-sanyasa --- sarva-karma-sanyasa are all
for Brahmana-male alone. These are all vidhi and are for Brahmana-male
alone as evident by Bhashya.

(2) Sanyasa-post-Moksha is for one and all because Moksha is for one and
all and hence sanyasa-post-Moksha is for one and all. There is no vidhi
here. There is no vidhana here.

I am not sure what vidvat-sanyasa actually signifies. Bhashyakara has not
explained it. But it is neither sanyasa-with-linga not karma-sanyasa. It
can be either sarva-karma-sanyasa or sanyasa-post-Moksha.

If one takes sarva-karma-sanyasa as vidvat-sanyasa then I am of the view
that only Brahmana-male is eligible therefor. If one takes
sanyasa-post-Moksha as vidvat-sanyasa then it is for one and all.

Regards.
Sudhanshu.

--
Joint Commissioner of Income-tax,