[Advaita-l] Shankara's opinion about Sannyasa for a Kshatriya

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 02:15:47 EDT 2019

Namaste Subbuji,

(I am yet to get your original post as I keep getting it out of sequence,
so I am replying to the mail I did get).

In my understanding, Bhagavan Bhashyakara pointed out that there is a
visheShAdhikAra for a brAhmaNa for sannyAsa (since a brAhmaNa is
particularly born in that varNa to complete his leftover journey, as I
recall HH's gloss under 2nd shloka of Vivekachudamani). However, he didn't
mean that there is no adhikAra for other two varNas in sannyAsa at all.
Under Br. Up. 4.4.22: विविदिषन्ति वेदितुमिच्छन्ति ; के ? ब्राह्मणाः ;
*ब्राह्मणग्रहणमुपलक्षणार्थम् ; अविशिष्टो हि अधिकारः त्रयाणां वर्णानाम् *;

When Swami Viditatmanandaji was teaching us the above mantra, he made a
specific comment on this line that it is surprising that Bhagavan
Bhashyakara says this, as most of the times, he limits the adhikAra to
brAhmaNas.

gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */