[Advaita-l] ParimANa of antah-karaNa

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 10:14:52 EDT 2019

Hari Om Bhaskar ji.

Antah-karaNa is held as madhyam-parimANa in Advaita siddhAnta. Because (1)
if it is aNu parimANa, then it's vritti is impossible. (2) if it is
mahat-parimANa, then its motion is not possible. Therefore, it has got to
be madhyam-parimANa. It is a dravya, which can contract and expand. It is
not gross dravya but subtle dravya.

I was confused because of my understanding of aNu-parimANa mentioned by
Acharya in 2.3.19-33. Now when Acharya says in 2.4.7 that the mention of
aNutva is not like that of paramaNu but for mentioning the subtlety and
parichchinnatva, then I think there is no room for confusion.

Regards.
Sudhanshu.