[Advaita-l] What are different types of Adhyasa-s?

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 07:43:53 EST 2019

Namaste Sadaji,
>From what I understand:
1) arthAdhyAsa and jnAnAdhyAsa - the superimposed object is arthAdhyAsa
(rope-snake), and the cognition of which is jnAnAdhyAsa (rope-snake
knowledge).
2) kAryAdhyAsa and kAraNAdhyAsa - the superimposition of primal ignorance
(which is jagat upAdAna kAraNa) on brahman is kAraNAdhyAsa. The
superimposition of the world on Brahman due to that primal ignorance is
kAryAdhyAsa.
3) svarUpAdhyAsa and samsargAdhyAsa- the superimposition of the svarUpa /
the thing-itself on another (a snake on a rope) is svarUpAdhyAsa, whereas
the imposition of the attributes of a thing on another is samsargAdhyAsa
(the redness of a flower superimposed on crystal).
4) nirupAdhika and sopAdhika - the upAdhi, in this context, means that
which lends / transfers the attributes of itself (AdhIyate svadharma: yena)
to that which is near (upa samIpe). The flower is the upAdhi in the adhyAsa
of redness in the crystal, so the red crystal is a case of sopAdhika
adhyAsa. nirupAdhika adhyAsa is where an upAdhi is not present, but the
adhyAsa takes place anyway because the substratum is not clearly understood
/ perceived, like the rope-snake. The nirupAdhika adhyAsa will disappear
with the knowledge of the substratum, whereas the sopAdhika adhyAsa will
persist so long as the upAdhi is present nearby, ie even with the knowledge
of the substratum. Even if it is known that the crystal is colourless, as
long as the hibiscus is present nearby, the crystal continues to appear red.
5) dharma adhyAsa and dharmi adhyAsa - the superimposition of attributes of
one upon the other is dharma adhyAsa (The happiness located in the mind,
superimposed on the self, as in "I am happy"), and the superimposition of
one substance upon the other is dharmi adhyAsa (the thief superimposed on
the pillar).

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 1:25 AM kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l <