[Advaita-l] How do you explain this?

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 22:15:06 EST 2019

PraNAms to all.
I was reading the text - Vedanta Sangraha of Ramaraya Kavi with commentary by Prof. R.Balasubramanian and S.Revati, published by Chinmaya International Foundation. (Shree Subbuji had given reference to this few weeks back). I thought of taking this text in my talk series as I completed the panchadasi text.
 In the introduction to the text, Sri Balasubramanian discusses the essence of Advaita covering various concepts including Khyaati vaadas. After reading his introduction, and coming from a strong science background and also was brought up as Vishishtaadvaitin like Ramaraya Kavi, I felt the urge to talk first on ‘Why Advaita? A perspective of a Scientist’. We completed this series. There are about 17 talks; and the series will soon become available on YouTube under Acharya Sadaji, by the courtesy of Advaita Academy. I just started the talks on Vedanta Sangraha. Ramaraya Kavi starts the chapter on ‘dRisya prapacham’. With the statement that there are two entities – dRik and dRisyam or seer-seen or subject-object. In his second para, he introduces the driK entity. With the statement that there are types – dRik padaarthaH chaturvibhaH| Brahma-Iswara-kuuTastha – jeeva bhedaat| Oupaadikoyam bhedaH na taatvikaH| Next, he says:  maayopahitaa dRik brahma| maayaavacchinnaatu IswaraH|
How do you interpret the above statements since Brahman is also defined with maayaa upaadhi and with Iswara as maayaa avacchinna’.

Will be happy to know.

Hari Om!

Sadananda