[Advaita-l] Tattvamasi - Advaita and Dvaita approach

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 15 08:42:21 EST 2019

Subbuji – PraNAms

Yes, the context of the teaching is very important. Uddalaka starts questioning his son, ‘Have you learned knowing which you will know everything’ – eka vijnaanena sarva vijnanaam bhavati. He then proves giving thee examples – emphasizing that if one knows the material cause then all the related products are ‘as well known’ with the emphasis that effects are cause itself in different names and forms – the effects are only – vaachaarambhanam vikaaro naamadheyam – or ‘namkevaste’ creation. That is the context in which he starts describing the creation – with the cause defining as sat swaruupam – sat eva idam agra aaseet .. and there is nothing other than sat. ekam – eva -adviteeyam – has been explained by Shankara as sajaati vijaati Swagata bheda rahitam – while Ramanuja accepts the first two but not the third – claims that there are internal differences with jeeva-jagat as part of the sat. He forces the issue because of the Gita statement – natvevvaaham jaatu naasam na tvam neme janaadhipaaH,.. endorsing existence of multiple jeevas as ever present and accounts for tat tvam asi using visheshana visheshaabhaam samanaadhikaraNam as in ‘blue lotus’. The only Madhva interprets it as ‘a tat tvam asi’ – you are not that.

That ‘I am not that’ is my daily experience and I do not need scripture to confirm that statement which I already know. Here ‘anadigatvam’ as pramaana requirement is violated. The statement is repeated nine times in the scriptures which you already know even without scriptural help.

Major problem, of course, Madhva’s position that Brahman is not the material cause for the creation and in the process the original basis of the chapter – eka vijnaanana sarva vijnaanam bhavati – is not met.

Just my 2c.

Hari Om!

Sadananda