[Advaita-l] Ishvaro GururAmteti......reflected in Bhagavatam

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 02:12:38 EST 2019

In the tradition of Advaita teaching, there is a popular verse on the
identity of Ishwara, Guru and the Atma, from the Manasollasa, a commentary
to Shankaracharya's Sridakshinamurti stotram.

ईश्वरो गुरुरात्मेति मूर्तिभेदविभागिने ।

व्योमवद्व्याप्तदेहाय दक्षिणामूर्तये नमः ||

Ishwaro Gururatmeti Murti bheda Vibhagine,
Vyomavad vyapta dehaya Dakshinamurataye namah. (Manasollasa 1.30)

(There is no difference between the Guru, Self and God. Obeisance to Lord
Dakshinamurthy who is the personification of the Supreme Self that
permeates through Space).

We find a reflection of this verse in the Srimad Bhagavatam.  It is from
the Govardhana giri episode where Indra makes a stuti of Bhagavan:

त्वयेशानुगृहीतोऽस्मि ध्वस्तस्तम्भो वृथोद्यमः ।
ईश्वरं गुरुमात्मानं त्वामहं शरणं गतः ॥ १३॥   (Srimad Bhagavata X. 27, 12-13)

You, o Controller showing Your mercy have shattered my rigidity and
rendered my attempt fruitless; I came to You, the True Self and spiritual
master, in order to take shelter.”

Brahman alone appears as the Jiva.  When this jiva, in samsara, owing to
meritorious actions, acquires the samskara to seek Self-knowledge, is
blessed with the grace of Ishwara and the Guru. But the beauty is that all
these three, Ishwara, the Guru and the seeker, are none other than One
Consciousness. When the seeker realizes this, he is redeemed from bondage.

Om Tat Sat