[Advaita-l] Fwd: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Natural Realism & Contact theory of Perception

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 22:25:56 EST 2019

Namaste

Great scholars may try to prove Reality of outside world but they all
miserably fail without exceptions.

Why? Because if objects are Real it brings a Duality of Observer and
Observed object.

Therefore we have to reject this and accept Jagan Mithyatva.

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 11:50 AM V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <

> From: Chittaranjan Naik <chitnaik at gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 10:55 PM
> Subject: Re: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Natural Realism & Contact theory of
> Perception
> To: भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत् <bvparishat at googlegroups.com>
>

> Namaste Sri Pattanayak-ji,
>

> I read Boyer’s article. I will have to read it again to get a full grasp of
> the recent approaches in the philosophy of science that the author is
> referring to, but I believe my first reading is sufficient for me to make a
> broad comparison between the article and my book.
>

> 1.      While Boyer’s article and my book both draw from Vedic sources in
> our endeavors to provide viable explanatory accounts of Direct Realism, the
> goals of the two are vastly different. The main goal of Boyer’s article
> seems to be to justify Direct Realism as a valid premise of science given
> that this premise has been challenged by both philosophy and the
> counter-intuitive theories of science itself which scientists have been
> compelled to build in the areas of Quantum and Relativity physics. The aim
> of my book is different. It is to establish Direct Realism as part of a
> larger enterprise aimed at reinstating the Vedic worldview in the
> contemporary world.
>

> 2.      Boyer’s article does not attempt to remove the main hindrance that
> stands in the way of postulating a Direct Realism thesis in any meaningful
> manner: the almost ubiquitously held belief that our perception is
> occasioned by a stimulus-response process. For, as long as the physicalist
> stimulus-response theory of perception is held to be valid, it would
> logically result in a dualism of a *phenomenal world* and a *non-linguistic
> world bereft of the datum of consciousness*. The espousal of the
> stimulus-response model of perception would therefore logically lead to
> Representationalism (or Indirect Realism) and not to Direct Realism. This
> is not a problem with the Boyer article alone; I find it characteristic of
> all Western attempts to postulate Direct Realism, perhaps because the
> stimulus-response theory of perception is deeply ingrained in the Western
> tradition from the time of Aristotle. In consideration of this factor, my
> book makes the theory of perception the main focus of the book, or of the
> endeavor to posit Direct Realism. It addresses the very possibility of
> Direct Realism rather than focus on the ontological features of reality.
>

> 3.      Boyer’s article tries to introduce *Structural Realism / Ontic
> Structural Realism* as possible avenues for postulating a kind of Direct
> Realism, the main argument for it being that even though scientific
> theories may not be able to speak validly about the descriptive aspects of
> reality, there is a structural continuity in science and, in consideration
> of the fact that scientific theories do work, it would be reasonable to
> assume that this structure represents a legitimate structure of reality.
> [...]

Regards

-Venkatesh