[Advaita-l] asat & asatya / sat & satya

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 03:04:13 EDT 2019

Hari Om Bhaskar ji,

Asat and mithya are non-existence as per Swamiji. World is Brahman only.
Its upAdAna is Maya which is non-different from Brahman. However, due to
avidya, we imagine this world as different from Brahman. This
different-from-Brahman-imagined-world is asat/mithya. Similarly Maya is
non-different-from-Brahman. But because of avidya, we imagine Maya to be
different from Brahman. Such different-from-Brahman-imagined-Maya is asat
like shasha-vishana and mithya. Such Maya is stated to be non-existent and
not the one which is non-different from Brahman.

Further, satya and asatya are both sat. Asat is non-existence. World is
asatya and sat. Brahman is sat and satya (satya refers to sad-Brahman of
sadeva saumya). Asatya is not sat and hence neither satya nor asatya. This
is what Swamiji holds as per Bhashya.

Regards
Sudhanshu.