[Advaita-l] asat & asatya / sat & satya

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Aug 22 02:06:45 EDT 2019

praNAms Sudhanshu Shekhar prabhuji
Hare Krishna

As per Swamiji, the definition of satya and asatya ( = anrita) is as per Taittiriya -- सत्यमिति यद्रूपेण यन्निश्चितं तद्रूपं न व्यभिचरति, तत्सत्यम् । यद्रूपेण यन्निश्चितं तद्रूपं व्यभिचरति, तदनृतमित्युच्यते. In short, satya is unchangeable while  asatya is changeable.

>  Yes, this is what bhAshyakAra said in taittereeya.  So, Swamiji is not saying anything new with regard to kArya ( tadrUpaM vyabhicharati)

Both satya and asatya is sat. Swamiji has not quoted bhAshya for the definition of Sat but it can be taken from Gita 2.16.

> since behind  every changing kArya the unchanging Gold (kAraNa) invariably exists the shruti clarifies  : satyanchAnrutaMcha satyamabhavat yadidaM kiNcha.

Asat, as per Swamiji, is here's horn, non-existence. Again he has not quoted any bhashya vakya for asat.

>  what would be the swamiji's explanation with regard to asadvA idamagra Asit??  According to him from the absolute non-existence (shUnya) something originated??  Yes, this is what I heard in that whatsapp group discussion as well, according to him : asatya is changing one which is jagat / mAya / pariNAmi nitya  and asat is non-existence (atyanta abhAva like vadhyAputra) which is mithyA.  Hence jagat is NOT mithyA but asatya.  So, asat (non existent one) =mithyA, asatya (the changing one) = mAya according to him?? Hmmm...a new dimension to the jagan mithyatva vAda!!  How he reconciles this with mAya definition which is available in kArikA??  That which does not exist is mAya??  Please clarify.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar