[Advaita-l] Soundaryalahari

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Aug 8 18:06:24 EDT 2019

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019, Swami Nityamayananda via Advaita-l wrote:

> Namaste,
>
> I am reading a transcription of talk given on the Soundaryalahari by Kanchi
> Paramarcharya. In that he mentions that there is a manuscript in the
> library at Philadelphia in which paintings of Divine Mother is available
> depicting each stanza.
>
> Is this rare work available in a soft-copy at archive.org or in the
> internet? Kindly share the link if it has one.

It is probably a reference to the library of the University of
Pennsylvania which is in Philadelphia and houses one of the biggest
collections of Indian manuscripts in the West.  They were collected on
behalf of one W. Norman Brown who was the Professor of Sanskrit there.
Prof Brown published a critical edition and translation called "The
Saundarya Lahari or Flood of Beauty" (Harvard Oriental Series vol. 43,
Harvard University Press, Cambridge 1958)

There is a copy at archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/TheSaundaryaLahariORFloodOfBeautyW.NormanBrown

Looking at it, there are some plates in the back reproducing some of the
pages but it is not a full set.  The University of Pennsylvania has put
scans of some of their manuscripts online
(http://www.library.upenn.edu/collections/sasia/skt-mss/) but the
Saundarya Lahari manuscript does not appear to be one of them.