[Advaita-l] धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: is fake.

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 23:06:43 EDT 2019

Could you please show the verse where the reading 'dharma himsa tathaiva
cha' is present?
For one, in Shankara's Brahma sutra too, we have the discussion where it is
concluded that himsa that is enjoined in a yaaga is not himsa that would
bring paapa for the performer.  This is an exception to the general rule:
maa himsyaat sarvaa bhuutaani.  Also, a punishment by a Govt./King for an
offence is not himsa that brings papa for the Govt.
official/executioner/King. It is part of Raaja dharma :  saama, daana,
bheda and daNDa.

regards
subbu