[Advaita-l] Samnyasa and Sankara's position?

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 01:24:20 EDT 2019

Namaste Sriram ji,
I know it is said in a lighter vein, but isn't the real sannyAsa to
contemplate upon the question - who is the one getting pestered, by whom?

Taking up sannyAsa to avoid getting pestered is an exercise in futility,
because even if one takes sannyAsa from grihasthAshrama, the one taking
such a sannyAsa - the body and the mind - cannot take sannyAsa from
prArabdha. That will continue to affect the body and mind even after.

Therefore, the only true sannyAsa is the sannyAsa from body identification,
and there is nothing to stop that even now. May we have the strength and
perseverance to train our mind to think on those lines.

As long as the body is in grihasthAshrama, let it serve those that are
dependent upon it. When they have no use for it, let it seek their
permission to drop the relations and take up sannyAsa.

Kind regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019, 05:20 Venkata sriram P via Advaita-l, <