[Advaita-l] Is the non-difference between cause and effect?

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 11:44:00 EDT 2019

Namaste Raghav Ji,

Regret the delay in responding. My Net connection was again disrupted, this
time around by several days at a stretch.

Reg  << Are there examples where there are two entities which enjoy the
adhiShThAna-adhiShTheya sambandha without any kAraNa-kArya sambandha
between them ? (Be it either pariNami or vivarta upAdAna kAraNam) >>,

Any entities which have adhishthAna-adhyArOpa sambandha  never enjoy
 kArya-kAraNa sambandha between them at the same time.  If the adhyAropa is
a single unchanging entity, like in rope-serpent illustration, there is no
kArya- kAraNa sambandha of any sort. However if the adhyAropita  vastu is a
changing one, as in the case of jagat, there exists kArya-kAraNa sambandha
as far as the adhyArOpita vastus, namely  the various entities of jagat, is
concerned. This is accepted both by the sAmkhya sidhAnta as well as advaita
sidhAnta. This is what constitutes the satkArya-satkAraNa vAda of advaita
sidhAnta.   But not so in ArambhavAda.

Reg    << Also is it incorrect to refer to the clay, the upAdana kAraNam as
'adhiShThAnam' of the pot? >>,

Yes. It is incorrect. Normally the clay-pot relationship is treated as a
kAraNa-kArya relationship. However in Panchadashi, Sri Swami Vidyaranya
 presents a unique and different way of treating the clay-pot relationship
as sOpAdhika adhyAsa. Even here, Swami Vidyaranya  refers to clay as the
AdhAra  for the adhyAsa  pot,  and not as adhishthAna. The commentators,
Sri Ramakrishna as well as Sri Achyutaraya Modak, likewise use the same
tern AdhAra  for clay with reference to pot.

Sri Raghav Ji,   this is my personal  well considered understanding. The
clay-pot illustration  had been discussed here several  times earlier and
you can safely hope to contend with a deluge of objections/alternative
views which were presented earlier. I am not commenting on any of the other
viewpoints. Nor trying to, “ as usual”  according to some very respected
Members, present  halfbaked ideas of my own. Halfbaked   they may be
according to other very respected Members, but not so from my own
standpoint. I am responding with due regards to your specific queries
addressed to me. You may please dispose them off as you deem fit.  However
if there are any followup questions/objections, please feel free to raise
them.

Regards

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 3:56 PM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <