[Advaita-l] Two Advaitic verses with a profound combined purport

Srinath Vedagarbha svedagarbha at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 17:36:39 EDT 2019

Namaste,

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 2:37 PM Venkatraghavan S <agnimile at gmail.com> wrote:

> What you have quoted is not relevant to what Bhaskar ji is saying. He is
> saying that the world's svarUpa as Brahman is never negated, whereas you
> are quoting a passage from the Advaita Siddhi which is saying that the
> nature of negation of the world is absolute.
>
> There is a difference between the two. When the shell silver is absolutely
> denied, it does not mean that the substance that is the basis for the shell
> silver - the shell - is denied. It means that the existence of the shell
> silver is totally denied. The avadhi, what remains, after the pAramArthika
> niShedha of jagat is Brahman.
>
> Similarly when the world's existence is totally denied, it does not mean
> that the substance that is the basis for the world - Brahman - is denied. The
> avadhi, what remains, after the pAramArthika niShedha of shukti rajata is
> the shukti.
>
> Thus Bhaskar ji's concern for the svarUpa of the world as Brahman is well
> preserved even after the pAramArthika niShedha mentioned in the Advaita
> Siddhi.

I do not think so. Please re-read Sri.Bhaskar-ji's mail. Let me quote here
again for the clarity;

I am sorry, I don’t think so. ' Jagat never stated as braman'  is really a
sweeping statement which denies the very existence of jagat in its
svarUpa.  When Shruti categorically declaring brahmaivedaM amrutaM
purastAt, idaM sarvaM yadayamAtmA, sarvaM khalvidaM brahma, yenAshrutaM
shrutaM bhavatyamataM mataM avijnAtaM vijnAtaM, brahman is left, right,
top, bottom etc. etc., I am afraid conclusions like this especially when
jagat is accessible to both jnAni and ajnAni in samAna rUpa through
pratyakshAdi prAmaNa, would bring the Shruti hAni.  IMHO, jagat in its
svarUpa never ever been negated as  it is pariNAmi nitya and trishu kAleshu
one with brahman.  And as per the popular trend, even for the jnAni is
jagat would continue to exist and it is because of this only due to
prArabdha his BMI (vAng, manaH, kAya) would continue to engage in
pravrutti.  samyakjnAnAprAptAvapi avashyaM bhAvinI pravruttiH vAngmanaH
kAyAnAM.  When there is an admission of existence of BMI how can we deny
the existence of jagat, is this upAdhi of jnAni not paNchabhUtAtmaka ??

//End Quote

If you notice it is been said that -- jagat  in its ***svarUpa*** (a key
word) never ever been negated as  it is pariNAmi nitya and trishu kAleshu
***one with brahman*** (another keyword). The text does not indicate
adhisTAna  is meant  for svarUpa as you are defending now. Even if we
assume he meant so (that svarUpa=adhisTAna), I am fair in my own stand that
since MS distinguishes between those two terms (svarUpa vs
adhisTAna)(otherwise why he is doing niShEda?)  I took Sri.Bhaskara-ji also
meant the same.

On the philosophical note -- why svarUpa is equated with adhisTAna in the
school?  To the question what is the svarUpa of silver in the illusion? If
you deny reality to it, then you are denying reality to adhisTAna shell. On
the other hand, if you assert  reality for the svarUpa of silver (just
because you want to preserve reality to adhisTAna shell), you are asserting
reality to silver as it is presented.

/sv