[Advaita-l] Two Advaitic verses with a profound combined purport

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 10:29:09 EDT 2019

Namaste Raghavji,

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 7:22 PM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

> Thank you for the clarification. A little following up....I was examining
> the similarity/dissimilarity between the two statements
> jIva is Brahman
> jagat is Brahman

I haven't received some of the mails such as Venkatji's and some others I
have received out of sequence. In any case, I just wanted to voice out and
see if the following makes sense to anyone else:

jIva = brahman + avidyA as kArana
Ishvara = brahman + mAyA as kArana
jIva  = brahman + part of jagat as kArya
Ishvara = brahman + whole jagat as kArya

The difference between jIva and Ishvara is of vyaShTi-sharIra and
samaShTi-sharIra, which is why jahadajahallakShaNa works leading to the
statement jIva is brahman.

In the statement jagat is brahman, only bAdhasAmAdhikaraNyam applies since
no formula like above is possible in the case of jagat. Nothing is
superimposed on brahman to get jagat. jagat itself is a superimposition to
get jIva and Ishvara.

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */