[Advaita-l] Power of Brahman

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 06:17:38 EDT 2018

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 3:36 PM KALPANA MANSI via Advaita-l <

> Pranam.
>  as you said  "Swami Vidyaranya in the Panchadashi has said:  Siddhi-s
> happen due to tapas
> and not due to Brahma jnanam. Upasana can bring siddhis to a person but he
> need not be a Brahmajnani to be endowed with siddhis." related to my views
> the concept of 'Advaita siddhi' not which is written by Madhusudan
> Saraswati ji, I am asking simple term/concept how you will define
> Advaita perspective. and please tell me the verse number where it is
> maintained as above. please, sir.

Pranams

If you are asking the reference for the Panchadashi statement cited above,
it is here:  Ninth Chapter, Dhyana Deepa Prakaranam:

http://shankaracharya.org/panchadasi_trans_9.php#1

Translation: 108. (Doubt): He is a knower of truth who can bless or curse
with effect. (Reply): Not that, for these powers result from the practice
of austerities.

109. (Doubt): Vyasa and others had these powers. (Reply): But these were
produced by some austerities. Austerities meant for knowledge are different
from them.

110. Those who practise both the types of austerities possess both powers
and knowledge. So each type of practice will produce the result appropriate
to it.

111. (Doubt): Ascetics and ritualists, despise the saintly monk who has
neither such powers nor follow the injunctions. (Reply): Their austerities
and rituals are also despised by the votaries of worldly pleasures.

https://sanskritdocuments.org/doc_z_misc_major_works/panchadashi.html?lang=sa

शापानुग्रहसामर्थ्यं यस्यासौ तत्त्वविद्यदि ।
न तत् शापादिसामर्थ्यं फलं स्यात्तपसो यतः ॥ १०८॥

व्यासादेरपि सामर्थ्यं दृश्यते तपसो बलात् ।
शापादिकारणादन्यत्तपोज्ञानस्य कारणम् ॥। १०९॥

द्वयं यस्यास्ति तस्यैव सामर्थ्यज्ञानयोर्जनिः ।
एकैकं तु तपः कुर्वन्नेकैकं लभते फलम् ॥ ११०॥

सामर्थ्यहीनो निन्द्यश्चेद्यतिभिर्विधिवर्जितः ।
निन्द्यन्ते यतयोऽप्यन्यैरनिशं भोगलंपटैः ॥ १११॥

regards
subbu