[Advaita-l] Role of logic in the study of Advaita Vedanta

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Sep 21 16:08:59 EDT 2018

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018, Ryan Armstrong wrote:

> Namste Dear Jaidhar
> I must thank you for pointing this out.
> I have been told that I see everything "vyatireka" and should "balance" the
> view with some "anvayaa" in the approach.
> It seems that this is what you are picking up on.
> Rather than criticism, I shall view this are "helpful advice"
> To qualify the statement with "solely" is certainly judgmental...
>
> The intention was more to suggest a shift in focus...

My response was mainly to Shreenivasa Murthy who has a habit of making
these kind of pronouncements and then not engaging.  To the extent that he
has received "brickbats" as he calls them, it is for that reason alone.

The investigation of pramanas or means of valid knowledge and padarthas or
essential constituents of reality was chiefly
pursued in the Nyaya and Vaisheshika darshanas. (By the 13th century or so
they had merged and been partially replaced by the Navya or "neo" Nyaya.)
Vedanta rejects many of their metaphysical conclusions but accepts their
framework for reasoning about padarthas and pramanas.  This view is
exemplified by a popular introductory manual of Navya-Nyaya called Tarka
Samgraha by Mahamahopadhyaya Annam Bhatta who lived in Andhra Pradesh in
the 17th century.  He refers to himself as a descendent of "the Advaita
Acharya Raghava Somayaji."  He also wrote a commentary on his own work
called Dipika. At the end of his work, he has a short aside on the
place of such subjects in the pursuit of liberation.

It starts padArthasya GYAnasya paramaM prayojanaM mokshaH "The ultimate
purpose of the Padartha Shastra [i.e. Nyaya] is Moksha."  He goes on to
quote the important text from the Brhadaranyaka Upanishad, AtmAvA.are
dR^iShTavyA shrotavya mantavyo nidhidhyAsitavyaH "The Atma my dear
[Maitreyi who is told this by Yajanavalkya] is to be heard of,
contemplated upon, and realized."  According to Annam Bhatt, manana is
shrutyupAdita tarka "Shruti-based logic."  It is the bridge between merely
hearing of Advaitic concepts and putting them into practice.

Yes there are some people who can immediately grasp these concepts and use
them but most will need help.  Anytime you have two or more people you
need formal protocols to communicate to prevent errors and
misunderstanding.