[Advaita-l] Words of comfort from the shruti and bhAShya

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Sep 18 06:07:53 EDT 2018

Previously one thought that he was a miserable human being, post knowledge, one knows that one is all.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

This one reminds me prashNa shruti bhAshya as well, pUrvaM avidyayA asarva Aseet punaH vidyayA avidyApanaye sarvO bhavati.  Yes, the jeeva which realizes that it is not asarvaM becomes all and there exists nothing apart from IT.  It is not something like I am sAkshi who is satya and whatever I am seeing is mithyA, it is satya and satya only nothing else.  Subsequently in the bruhad Upanishad bhAshyakAra clarifies : sarvaM hi asmAkaM AtmabhUtameva sarvasya cha vayaM AtmabhUtAH.  And in that sense, sata eva dvaitabhedena anyathAgruhyamANatvAt " nAsatvaM kasyachit kvachit iti brUmaH.  Hence samyak drushti is called satya darshana not mithyA darshana.

Since  my thoughts synchronizing  with yours dared to write something.  Hope you won't mind it.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
Bhaskar

Namaste,
Yes that is correct. The attainment of sarvAtmabhAva is figurative - claiming it as one's nature as a result of the knowledge of the self is what is spoken of as attainment here. Just like the shruti statement, तत्सर्वमभवत्.
One does not become all. Previously one thought that he was a miserable human being, post knowledge, one knows that one is all.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan